Jane and Jim (let’s protect their identities) weren’t surprised. Jane suspected her husband had sleep apnea, but he refused to go in to get diagnosed. Jane says he has been snoring for many years. Her sleep was also suffering because he refused to go in for a diagnosis. Last year, they started to sleep in separate rooms. She urged and encouraged him. Their marriage was also suffering.
Jim told me, “What is the point of getting the sleep apnea diagnosed when I know I would hate the ‘machine’? I know many people who cannot do it. It is a waste of money.”
With a one-night sleep test at home, he was diagnosed with Moderate to Severe sleep apnea.
They are not the only couple who have similar stories. I have seen many.
So what now?
Causes of sleep apnea are multi-faceted and multi-factorial. The traditional method of approaching sleep apnea is NOT multi-dimensional.
You have sleep apnea?
Here is the CPAP. Good luck.
No. We can do better than this.
So, this is the reason DreamBite System was born. DreamBite System looks at a patient with sleep apnea using a holistic approach. Traditional medicine sees the sleep apnea first regardless of the person.
DreamBite System asked “smart questions” and found out Jim could not breathe through his nose. He also suffered from allergies most of the year. He lacked energy and gained weight. Nasal obstruction and congestion are a big part of upper airway issues. DreamBite System has “smart measurements” to analyze the patient’s anatomy and function. Jim’s back of the throat was narrow worsening breathing obstruction.
DreamBite System presented him with several options to consider.
1. Do nothing: No one should be picking this, but it is always an option.
2. Weight loss and positional sleep therapy: Well, if you do not sleep well and are tired, how can you lose weight successfully? It is possible but difficult. For most.
3. DreamBite System Oral Appliance: DreamBite System, using 3D scanning and jaw analysis can create a design at the next level. This is different from what you see on the internet or in your dentist’s office. The brains behind this process is why DreamBite System has such better of a success rate. Simply put the device in your mouth when sleeping and wake up rested.
4. CPAP, BiPAP, AutoPAP: All these machines are forcing certain amounts of air pressure into the nose and mouth to force the airway open. It is cumbersome, and many patients struggle. Some have love and hate relationships with their devices.
5. Variety of surgeries: There have been many attempts to create a one-time fix surgery. So far, I am not aware of any simple surgical procedure that is realistic for patients.
a. Nasal surgeries These range from the minimally invasive Sinusoft procedure at Modern Nose Clinic to having surgery under general anesthesia with a 2 week recovery period.
b. UPPP: Involves cutting away the back of the throat at uvula and soft palate. The tissue often grows back after very painful surgery.
c. MMA: This stands for maxilla-mandible advancement surgery. Cutting the upper and lower jaw and pulling the jaws forward using titanium plates. Your mouth will be wired shut for 6 weeks. Not easy surgery. Success is not 100% either.
d. Hypoglossal nerve stimulator: Requires putting an implant in the chest to shock the tongue muscle when sleeping.
Jim decided to start with the DreamBite System oral appliance. We did a DreamBite System design, and a few weeks later, he took the device home. He started to snore less. Maybe, he thought, he felt less tired.
He later decided on treating allergies using SMARTCARE for allergies. He underwent the minimally invasive Sinusoft procedure.
Just by breathing better, having more energy to move around more, Jim lost 30 lbs in 6 months.
Jim said later, “I did not realize how much I was struggling and was irritable with my family. I know I was depressed and was in denial. I wish I had done this years ago. That is my only regret.”
What now, you ask?
You don’t have to feel stuck. There is a way that is the best for YOU. It may not be what Jim chose to do, or how he approached this.
I can guide you so you can reach your next level.
Wouldn’t life be so much more rewarding if you know you are giving your best to your loved one?